The Perduror by Richard Gibney

St Brigid's Day is the 1st February.
No better opportunity to mention how I looked into the lives of some of the saints contemporaneous with Brigid, to incorporate parts of their stories in my novel, The Perduror, which has just dropped on the Kindle format. Ahem.

Brigid nearly made it into the novel as a character. Alongside the present-day narrative, the novel features a number of ancestral tales, told by an old man named Jack, to his great-nephew, Blythe. Jack is trying to convince Blythe of the importance of the family traditions. Both the present-day story and the family history converge in a climactic end.


I did a reading late last year in a library about 20 miles from where I live, in front of a bunch of fellow writers in Dublin – and this haltingly delivered section of The Perduror was part of the reading. It’s only my second event like this and the writers there – the event is called the Merg Sessions, held at Tallaght Library in south Dublin – are always very welcoming and supportive. If you're in Dublin and you write or enjoy readings of this kind it's well worth a trip - check out Kenneth Nolan's writer Facebook page at the link above for details.

The scene is between my narrator/hero of the novel and Makita, a young French woman who has captured his heart.




The Merg Sessions is run by the terrific Irish writer Kenneth Nolan (also on Twitter), whose work - from what little I've read of it - contains an evocative and poetic awareness of Irish culture.

Below are a couple of Instagram pics. A cover of my novel with a backdrop of Christchurch Cathedral – the famous composer Handel debuted The Messiah there in the seventeenth century. Given that Dublin's the Irish capital but not quite a London or New York sized metropolis, we punch above our weight when it comes to international acts coming to play their gigs, and clearly (if Handel made his debut here) we've been doing that for centuries:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNfBmOPD26C/

Here’s another cover with a wooden floor as the backdrop that’s sort of Masonic.
I took this in a lord's country house a few miles down the road from where I live that was built to look like a Roman temple of all things, a couple of centuries ago. The writer and poet Kevin Bateman was good enough to ask me along to that house. I hadn't even heard of it before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNl4fopDeII/?taken-by=ragtaggiggagon

This home was built by a guy (Charlemont) who went on a tour of Europe as a young man, and fell in love with Rome and Athens. There are guided tours of this place, and I only learned about it myself this year. It’s about halfway into the city from where I live. There’s lots of what Dan Brown calls “symbology” in this building and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to learn that there were devil-worshipping orgies there or some other similar lunacy. As my novel's got dashes of conspiracy theories from the Middle Ages, and features some questionable history of the kind you might find in a Dan Brown thriller, I felt these images - although poorly taken on my own phone - were good in conveying the subject matter to the potential reader.

The Perduror is available from Amazon here.