An Early Childhood Chapter 19 Part 4



CHAPTER 19 CONTINUED from Chapter 19 Part 3.

FLANAGAN
But how will I generate the 2.21 gigawatts of power to fuel the flux capacitor? We don’t have plutonium, Hunt. We’re not at Sellafield. Are you mad, man? Have you gone insane? The only thing I can think we could use is a bolt of lightning and we’d have to know exactly when and where that bolt of lightning strikes, and that is impossible, unless I knew that there was a bolt of lightning that hit a Quinnsworth supermarket in 1987 during Hurricane Charlie. But wait! I do know that. Because back in Dublin, in 1987, there was a Quinnsworth struck by a bolt of lightning in 1987 that burned down, and that’s why I remember it. I shouldn't remember that, but because it's a dream and in the dream I'm from the future rather than the 1920s, I do remember it! So that’s it! (CLICKS HIS FINGERS, DELIGHTED WITH HIMSELF.) Eureka! We have to get to Dublin – and fast! Do you have a thing called cheap flights in this era?

HUNT (FROWNING)
What time period did you come from again, Flanagan?

(FLANAGAN looks into the air whistling.)

HUNT
Haven’t you forgotten something, Inspector?

FLANAGAN
No! We have to get to Quinnsworth.

HUNT
Haven’t you forgotten something about your arrival here?

FLANAGAN
Arrival by birthday cake?

DRAKE
And the juices that were produced, Paddy?

FLANAGAN
So I have a lot more orgone energy? Is that what you’re saying?

HUNT
We’re sayin’ bolt.

FLANAGAN
Yes, but even more powerful than Usain Bolt!

HUNT
Don’t you mean Ben Johnson?

FLANAGAN (PUTTING ON A PAIR OF SUNGLASSES THAT HAVE APPEARED FROM NOWHERE)
I’ll bend my Johnson! (HE TURNS TO THE TWO OF THEM.) It’s been an honour working with you both. (DISAPPOINTED.) I never got to go to Quinnsworth in the end. Oh well…

DRAKE
Inspector?

FLANAGAN
Yes?
(SHE KISSES HIS LIPS)

DRAKE
You never had to.

HUNT (PHILOSOPHICALLY)
Maybe the message here is that…there’s a little bit of Quinnsworth…in all of us.

FLANAGAN (TO DRAKE)
Goodbye my lover. (TO HUNT) Goodbye my friend.

DRAKE
Maybe, Inspector, you can look me up in 2008…see how I’m doing?

FLANAGAN (GETS INTO THE CAR, LOOKS OUT THE OPEN WINDOW.)
That’s not going to happen, sweet cheeks. You died in the first episode. You’ve been dead all along. (HE LOWERS THE SUNGLASSES DOWN THE BRIDGE OF HIS NOSE SO SHE CAN SEE HIS EYES AND WINKS AT HER.)

FLANAGAN
See you, dickheads – to the max!

THE CAR SHOOTS OFF WITH A SQUEAL OF TYRES.

Continued in Chapter 20 Part 1.